I’ve kind of been in a cooking rut lately. It’s not like I don’t have a massive archive of recipe inspiration from Pinterest alone, it’s just that I haven’t been motivated to actually try something new. However, last Thursday as I was pinning up my weekly storm, I came across a stuffed pepper quinoa recipe that had me putting my shoes on and running to the door before I could even look up the recipe. I guess you could say that anything stuffed pepper related excites me. My mother makes an incredible Hungarian stuffed pepper dish that I just can’t get right and so this was my opportunity to perfect my own version. And I’ll let you in on a little secret that has seriously changed my life: Bulgarian Feta. It’s feta, only creamier. Enough said. Try my new recipe, and don’t forget the Bulgarian feta.
Black Bean Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
What you need
- 2-3 red peppers, but in half (the long way) and gutted
- Quinoa (cook 1 cup according to the bag)
- Bulgarian feta (Jon's market, or any "ethnic" market carries it)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 a jalapeño, sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tblspn chili powder
- 1/8 tspn black pepper
- 1 tspn red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tspn salt
- 1 tspn olive oil
- 1/2 tspn cumin
- 1/2 tspn dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
What to do
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a saute pan heat olive oil and add garlic, onions, and jalapeños and stir for 4-5 minutes or until onion turns translucent.
- Cook your quinoa while you are doing step 2.
- Once your quinoa is cooked place into a bowl and add black beans, onion mixture, tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange your peppers on a baking trey and fill with quinoa mixture.
- Cover the trey with foil and cook in the over for 20 minutes. Remove, add Bulgarian feta to the top and put back into the over (uncovered) for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lime, or all three!